- Presenter: Liliana Salazar, National Director for Special Education and Student Support, Academica
- Date: January 9, 2020 10:00 am
- Target Region: Anywhere
- Target Audience: Administration, Governing Board Members
- Category: School Safety
- Register At: https://bhope.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_xIxh2_DwRl-fS3BgofJ1Tw
- The recording for this webinar will be posted here shortly after the presentation.
Without a doubt, one of the most pressing issues in schools today is safety. It seems like a week can’t go by without hearing about a school shooting or someone talking about school safety fears. The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/05/18/2018-has-been-deadlier-for-schoolchildren-than-service-members/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a308af5a9c8f) recently reported a startling statistic that indicated more students have died in school shootings in 2018 than U.S. military members killed during deployment this year. With this in mind and the implementation of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act (SB 7026), how can principals and stakeholders take action to protect their charter schools? The 7 strategies provided in this session will inform principals and stakeholders on how to create a safer school and achieve critical educational outcomes. The 7 strategies included in the presentation will be:
1. PRIORITIZE safety at all times,
2. COMMUNICATE the importance of reporting suspicious behaviors or any concerns,
3. ADVOCATE for safety in your school, district, and community,
4. RELATE to students and give them a voice,
5. INNOVATE and leverage technology to your advantage,
6. COLLABORATE and expand your school safety team, and
7. NAVIGATE the tumultuous waters of school safety.